Post 1 : Learning, Motivation and Theory

Share a story about how you overcame a learning challenge. Why was it a challenge? What strategies did you use?  Use the language you learned in this unit

I completed high school in Tanzania, following the British curriculum, which involved four major international examinations: CIE checkpoints in year 9, IGCSE in year 11, AS-Level in year 12, and A-Level in year 13. In 10th grade, students had to choose eight subjects that would contribute to their future careers, with math and English being compulsory. Initially, I didn’t consider computer science and instead opted for ICT. However, when I finished my IGCSE, the school removed ICT as a subject, and I had to replace it with computer science. The challenge arose when the content in year 12 built upon what was taught in years 10 and 11, covering almost two years of material that I hadn’t learned. As the only student in the class without prior knowledge of the subject, I felt demotivated and believed I would fail. Despite trying various learning techniques like flashcards, note-taking, and cramming, nothing seemed to work, and I kept thinking, “I can’t do this.” Eventually, I realized I needed to approach it differently. Employing cognitive strategies, I actively sought supplementary resources such as online tutorials and textbooks and sought guidance from my teacher. This shift in mindset led me to adopt a growth mindset inspired by constructivist principles. I developed resilience, adaptability, and a belief that with dedication and support, I could improve my abilities. Through persistent effort and effective learning techniques, I not only caught up with my peers but also developed a genuine passion for computer science.

Based on your reading, would you consider your current instruction style more behavioralist, cognitivist, or constructivist? Elaborate with your specific mindset and examples.

I think my current instruction style seems to align more with a combination of cognitivist and constructivist approaches because the use of multiple online platforms such as Mattermost, Brightspace and WordPress indicates a focus on facilitating active mental processes and knowledge acquisition. These platforms give us opportunities to engage in self-directed learning and collaboration and social interaction with peers . More specifically, The facilitation of online discussions, group activities, and the creation of content through WordPress reflects the principles of constructivism, where learners are actively involved in the learning process.

3 Responses to “Post 1 : Learning, Motivation and Theory”

1. Hi Karenolotu thanks for sharing. I have had difficulties in my learning process as well. For example, when I took my first digital art course, I had zero basic knowledge of computers. Even, if I didn’t watch the teacher’s steps for a while in the class, I didn’t know what to do next. I looked at the works of my classmates around me and I was frustrated. But, in the end, I turned in a satisfactory piece of work. Because, in the making of this piece of work, I asked the teacher for advice many times. And, without a teacher, I chose to operate and learn by myself by watching videos on Youtube. With one attempt and failure after another, I produced a piece of artwork that I was satisfied with. I think difficulties in learning are something that often happens. But, we can’t give up, we should adjust our mindset and strategy in time when we encounter difficulties. In this way we will be able to succeed.
    I think my current teaching style also seems to be more of a combination of cognitivism or constructivism. My learning state can be affected by my environment and myself. For example, in an ambient learning environment and with a clear self-planning but state in the learning process, my learning efficiency is greatly enhanced. Moreover, by combining activities and knowledge, I will memorize the knowledge points more deeply. And, the learning state will be better.
    Overall, thank you for sharing your story. These stories help me understand and appreciate the unit better.

• @Winnie Yu , I appreciate you sharing your experience and insights. It’s truly motivating to learn about how you tackled challenges during your digital art course and persisted to produce a satisfying outcome. Your determination demonstrated by seeking guidance from the teacher and self-learning through YouTube, are commendable. You’re right; encountering difficulties while learning is normal, but what truly counts is our capacity to adapt our mindset and approaches when confronted with obstacles. Your valuable lesson of being open to adjusting your mindset and exploring different learning methods is a valuable lesson.

2. i really enjoyed your post. I like that you’re diving into your own experiences and realizing the constructivist perspectives you’ve had to apply to learning in the past!